Why didn’t I think of this before?
After patching half a dozen knees, I finally came up with a better remedy: replace the pants entirely at the knee. Here you can see that the new piece of corduroy has a different wale count. Let’s see how long these knees last.
United at last.
Many times i was afraid they were going to stay as pieces, on my sewing room floor.
And now it’s fall and except for the hood, the coat is ready just in time to usher in the cooler weather.
Once again, it was a Waffle pattern. The outer material is a silk cotton twill which i ordered from China. It’s hard to shop for material when i can’t touch it or get a sense of its weight. So i researched lots on suitable coat fabrics. I didn’t consider silk at first but i love it, its softness, the drape, how breathable it is.
The lining is Habotai silk accented with some fantastic beetle wool-silk blend (also from China).
Gosh, i even look as if i can hardly believe it’s done.
After my first jeans attempt, i decided to make a pattern from a pair i really loved which have worn out. Since it’s June, I started by using the pattern for a pair of cotton twill shorts.
Even though the original jeans had a bit of spandex, the twill was pure cotton. I added a half inch seam allowance to the pattern to account for no stretch, but it actually didn’t need that in all areas, probably only along the rise seam. Which makes this pattern adaptable to most wovens and blends which is great. I want to try some cords next.
Partway through this project, i realized i was envisioning chinos for this material – with more of the dress pant type detailing rather than denim accents. I considered starting over but then pushed through instead. And i’m thrilled with them.
When i finished them last night, i immediately pulled them on and they fit great, no adjustments. I realized i was wearing two self-made shirts so the whole outfit was mine. So cool.
My tee was a second try with a dandelion knit. My first try ended with a cowl i wasn’t pleased with. Though i loved the button detail on the shoulder, i did not succeed in making the print less juvenile or cutesy-looking. Best to go simpler.
This is the first attempt:
This is the second:
The sweater was a pattern i made when i came across the Perri Pullover which is no longer in print. I used a thicker knit which is a blend but it was cheap at Len’s Mills.
The three-quarter length sleeves kind of make sense for a spring/summer pullover. I’d love to make it in hemp fleece or cotton french terry. The deep pockets – sourced from a thrifted shirt – are my favourite.
The beginning of jeans.
These are Eily’s. They – along with the cords – were made using the Kudzu pattern. With some major adjustments. After making the cords, i realized he’s a size 4 in the waist and 10 in the length. Which means he was swimming even in the skinny version. The pattern also doesn’t distinguish between girl’s and boy’s sizes (which tends to make a difference the larger you go).
The fabric for both came from the thrift store. I used two pairs of adult pants instead of buying new material.