There’s a low-hanging cherry tree in the neighborhood. Eily’s been visiting it in between service berry picking. We made muffins with the harvest.
The last time i made lemon squares and sent them along to school, the boys both declared them the best ever addition to their lunches.
So the next dessert menu naturally made me think of lemon curd. Sure enough, these cupcakes were a hit.
Two new finds for making muffins more interesting.
First: raw buckwheat grouts (with a dab of coconut oil and a dot of maple syrup) as muffin topping. Who knew?
I modified a recipe from an Ontario Fresh flyer. The new version:
Upside Down Cherry Muffins
3 cherries per muffin cup
1/4 cup butter
3 T. maple syrup
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 wheat bran
1/2 t. stevia
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 cup yogurt
Put cherries in muffin tin. Combine butter and syrup and divide amoung tins. Combine remaining dry ingredients. Whisk egg with yogurt and add to dry ingredients. Stir until wet. Divide batter amoung tins, topping cherries. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
Does the berry season begin with wild strawberries or mulberries or service berries? The boys have been hunting for ripe berries along boulevards and parking lots. The older two know what to look for. They’ll pick what they can reach and then climb for the higher ones. Or, like they did on our street, use the plastic slide from our backyard to climb higher and move from tree to tree.
What’s more, the patches of wild strawberries in the yard are widening and there’s more to find.
I’m reminded of another boy hunched down in a berry patch five years ago.
Strawberry season may be over but we managed to squeeze a bit out of our frozen stock for these petit beurres filled with strawberry buttercream.
After an overwhelming weekend, our kitchen (and ourselves) needed a little recovery. So i got to work. Sometimes it’s the best kind of therapy.
I turned the pile of tomatoes into salsa. The sovereign coronation grapes into pungent juice. The shriveled eggplant into baked perfection. And the softening barlett pears into sweet sorbet.
I had this pillow that i made from a scrap of fabric that really i only bought because it paired nicely with the red one, which i loved. Besides a few silver berries painted on it, the pillow case was very very white. So after i made both cases, the red went on the couch and the white went into a bag in the attic. Indeed, white has no chance of lasting in my living room.
I’m not a big fan of storing things in case i need them later. Truthfully, the day i can place a white pillow on my couch seems a long way off.
Instead, a found a book on my shelf on natural dyes, sourced 200 grams of blueberries in my freezer, and went to work mordanting the fabric (with alum and cream of tarter) and preparing the dyestuff (aka blueberries). I wanted only a light shade of grey so a natural dye seemed the way to go. It such a subtle change but actually several shades darker than the original white.