Category Archives: wool

Crèche 

The last pocket in the advent calendar held a felted manger and baby Jesus. (Mary arrived a day earlier in the month.  The funky stable was felted by a friend – intended as a hat but has become a play cave).

By the time I had woken up and come downstairs,  the animals had gathered round.


How far we’ve come

When it comes to knit sweaters, Eily started out like this: with a lot of resistant.  He ended up wearing that sweater only twice.   

But with this one, he picked the wool himself.  Wore it eagerly the first day it was done (though I may decide to rip out the neckline a second time – I don’t like that it didn’t size up as well as Gabe’s). And he continues to wear it, even directly over a t-shirt.

42 pieces

United at last.   

 
Many times i was afraid they were going to stay as pieces, on my sewing room floor.

And now it’s fall and except for the hood, the coat is ready just in time to usher in the cooler weather. 

 
Once again, it was a Waffle pattern.  The outer material is a silk cotton twill which i ordered from China.  It’s hard to shop for material when i can’t touch it or get a sense of its weight.  So i researched lots on suitable coat fabrics.  I didn’t consider silk at first but i love it, its softness, the drape, how breathable  it is. 

 
The lining is Habotai silk accented with some fantastic beetle wool-silk blend (also from China).

  

Gosh, i even look as if i can hardly believe it’s done.  
 

Coat in June

I am not in tune with the seasons.  But i am so pleased with my new jacket.  

Designed by a Japanese pattern maker living in Amsterdam, i originally found her work when i came across another of her patterns (also for a jacket, also in the works).  I saw this one and fell in love and decided to make it first.  I love the bomber style.  I love it in wool. 

  But it’s way too hot for June.

Though i found lining for the sleeves in my stash, i had to buy more for the rest of it.  The teal ribbing is from Nature’s Fabric (it was a toss up between that and olive).  The fabric for the shell was in my stash of vintage blankets but not heavy enough (and far too lovely) to convert into a wool mattress pad.  I had some serious work to do cutting out the pattern (and making sure all the pieces were correctly orientated) around all the moth holes.  The picture below shows the holes marked with painter’s tape. 

 The pattern itself was very straight forward; the lining pattern was a little less intuitive but mainly in terms of the order of the steps. 

I hyped myself up for the zipper work but the pockets were no big deal and this was the first separating zipper i’ve put in without having to redo once or twice.

 The fit is fabulous right off the bat.  The only modifications i made were to shorten the back collar facing and the collar ribbing. The body and sleeve length are impeccable.  Living in Amsterdam, she must know my type.

Now i have to wait three months to properly wear it.