Tag Archives: coat

42 pieces

United at last.   

 
Many times i was afraid they were going to stay as pieces, on my sewing room floor.

And now it’s fall and except for the hood, the coat is ready just in time to usher in the cooler weather. 

 
Once again, it was a Waffle pattern.  The outer material is a silk cotton twill which i ordered from China.  It’s hard to shop for material when i can’t touch it or get a sense of its weight.  So i researched lots on suitable coat fabrics.  I didn’t consider silk at first but i love it, its softness, the drape, how breathable  it is. 

 
The lining is Habotai silk accented with some fantastic beetle wool-silk blend (also from China).

  

Gosh, i even look as if i can hardly believe it’s done.  
 

Coat in June

I am not in tune with the seasons.  But i am so pleased with my new jacket.  

Designed by a Japanese pattern maker living in Amsterdam, i originally found her work when i came across another of her patterns (also for a jacket, also in the works).  I saw this one and fell in love and decided to make it first.  I love the bomber style.  I love it in wool. 

  But it’s way too hot for June.

Though i found lining for the sleeves in my stash, i had to buy more for the rest of it.  The teal ribbing is from Nature’s Fabric (it was a toss up between that and olive).  The fabric for the shell was in my stash of vintage blankets but not heavy enough (and far too lovely) to convert into a wool mattress pad.  I had some serious work to do cutting out the pattern (and making sure all the pieces were correctly orientated) around all the moth holes.  The picture below shows the holes marked with painter’s tape. 

 The pattern itself was very straight forward; the lining pattern was a little less intuitive but mainly in terms of the order of the steps. 

I hyped myself up for the zipper work but the pockets were no big deal and this was the first separating zipper i’ve put in without having to redo once or twice.

 The fit is fabulous right off the bat.  The only modifications i made were to shorten the back collar facing and the collar ribbing. The body and sleeve length are impeccable.  Living in Amsterdam, she must know my type.

Now i have to wait three months to properly wear it.

 

Sparingly

During those miraculous moments when all children are sleeping or safely occupied (as in, not hammering the newly sanded floor in the reno room nor throwing toys down an exposed air duct), i’ve squeezed in some sewing orders.

Here’s another bee and flower wool toddler coat:

IMG_0536.JPG
I’m now debating adult sizes…

Childrens Pixie Coat

I drafted a pattern for a kid’s coat because i had some wool blankets not thick enough to use/sell as mattress pads. This one was from a vintage pink blanket which i hand dyed and pieced together for a size 3/4T coat. I added a cotton lining and a pixie hood. Just need to sew on the buttons (and maybe some appliqué) and see if i can get Gabe to model it.

20140613-140943-50983328.jpg

20140613-140944-50984880.jpg