Mother’s Day love from 8 grandchildren:
Eily’s Plasticine warbler:
A friend made several troll and polliwog dolls and asked for help dressing them.
Once i began to sew it, i realized it was too dark to really show off the smocking. Also, the instructions state that the smocking takes up the fabric width-wise at a ratio of 2:1 but i feel that’s much too generous. What’s more, the smocking gives the waist some elasticity even though i used embroidery thread and not elasticized thread. I tried resizing it it four times before concluding that i will never be able to give the skirt a more defined waistline.
Before making it, I had already worried i would not have a proper shirt to wear with it because of its high rise and the fact it’s meant to be shown off. Now that it’s done and i wasn’t able to give it the definition it deserves, i find it even harder. I still love the fabric but sadly, i might have to rethink the design.
After my first jeans attempt, i decided to make a pattern from a pair i really loved which have worn out. Since it’s June, I started by using the pattern for a pair of cotton twill shorts.
Even though the original jeans had a bit of spandex, the twill was pure cotton. I added a half inch seam allowance to the pattern to account for no stretch, but it actually didn’t need that in all areas, probably only along the rise seam. Which makes this pattern adaptable to most wovens and blends which is great. I want to try some cords next.
Partway through this project, i realized i was envisioning chinos for this material – with more of the dress pant type detailing rather than denim accents. I considered starting over but then pushed through instead. And i’m thrilled with them.
My tee was a second try with a dandelion knit. My first try ended with a cowl i wasn’t pleased with. Though i loved the button detail on the shoulder, i did not succeed in making the print less juvenile or cutesy-looking. Best to go simpler.
The sweater was a pattern i made when i came across the Perri Pullover which is no longer in print. I used a thicker knit which is a blend but it was cheap at Len’s Mills.
The three-quarter length sleeves kind of make sense for a spring/summer pullover. I’d love to make it in hemp fleece or cotton french terry. The deep pockets – sourced from a thrifted shirt – are my favourite.
After i spilt fabric paint on these – sadly (for they were essentially my winter uniform) – i used what was still intact to make wool leggings (-ish) for Eily. He loves them.
Then again, Eily has since become much better at appreciating the handmade. To the extreme, i might add. Some examples:
A Paint interpretation of flies he’s tied (for fly fishing):
And some actual flies: