This is after numerous failed attempts, a process interupted by temperature changes, transportation mishaps, or slow growth patterns. I’m finally happy with the state of my starter…enough to tentatively try bread.
Here’s what i learned so far:
-feed it regularly, every 12 hours, or less, rather than more, if a scheduling conflict arises
-keep the temperature relatively constant
-make sure i’ll be home, and not traveling, for 2 whole weeks
-i started with whole wheat flour, and switched to white after about 8 feedings, as per the suggestion of this baker, but i was working with only the hope that i was on the right track up until that point. The starter was supposed to be doubling in size between each feed. It wasn’t until i was using white even though it was suggested that it would initially slow down with white.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPod